Matthew is turning 18 this Sunday. He is a legal adult- cue the gasps of disbelief. Where has the time gone? I loved loved loved this moment I happened to catch while we were all singing to him- he looks so old but also so innocent.
I remember when we were (a lot) younger, one year when we sang him "Happy Birthday" he got scared by everyone singing and hid under the table for the rest of the night. Not even a slice cake could lure him out....
Speaking of, look at this masterpiece. It's a peppermint ice cream cake with soft peppermints sprinkled on top and brownies on the bottom. My mama made it. Drool.
...anyway, the next few years after that we had to whisper-sing "Happy Birthday" to him to prevent any swift retreats underneath the table.
This year, and the past several years, we have been able to sing to him at full volume and he watches us while he sings. When we instruct him to "make a wish" before he blows out the candles, he sits there in earnest contemplation for a few moments before finally closing his eyes and blowing out the flames in one decisive exhale.
I wonder what he wished for, and I hope his wish comes true.
Happy Birthday Mattman! I love you.
x M






No comments:
Post a Comment