OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sprezzatura: Part I


I feel like I've been working on this post for forever- and really I have, it's been over a month since I started writing about this idea- but it still doesn't feel complete. I'll post what I have now (Part I), then add more once I find the words.

Awhile ago, I read a post on Laini Taylor's blog and where she talked about this idea of sprezzatura, which (besides being a really pretty Italian word- say it! it's like candy) refers to the facade of nonchalance courtiers and courtesans put on during the Renaissance to make everything they did- dancing, sonnet writing, theatrical performances- seem effortless. They'd spend hours practicing and composing only to flaunt their hard-earned skills the next morning as if the new poetry they'd spent hours composing or the dance that they'd mastered was bestowed upon them in the night. Effort was gauche. She went on to write that Pinterest and some of the blogosphere felt very sprezzatura-ish:

"I have this half-formed idea haunting me lately that the internet gives us weird expectations of life. (I know, categorize this idea under D for Duh.) Pinterest, blogs. It's like: beautiful, organized people are flaunting their ... lack of flailing ... in our faces. 

Look at my beautiful home and my artfully presented meal. And now I'm going to show you how perfectly I pack for a weekend getaway to our second home on a Swedish island, built with timber we milled with our own hands. (Scandinavians, I'm looking at you, with your beautiful homes and smiling faces! :-) After I arrange the library by color. "

I agree, some of blogland feels plastic-y perfect, but I don't think that's nearly as toxic as the people we encounter that are studiously careless in their perfection. And it's not so much the perfection that bothers me, but the inauthenticity of that perfection. Going back to the idea of courtesans and courtiers in the Renaissance, the whole idea of sprezzatura seemed to be "be more impressive than your friends, but don't make it seem like you tried." Doesn't that sound toxic to real relationships? I've been thinking about that a lot lately-- how the glorification of busy and a sense of competition at a school, university, or job environment can really impede on making real connections with people. Am I making sense? It seems to me that if you're spending so much time trying to be casually perfect, one-upping each other for the benefit of royalty. It may be a pretty word, but it's not a pretty concept.

And let's be honest, trying to attain effortless perfection sounds, well, exhausting.

x M


2 comments:

  1. Super interesting idea. I do feel that this is almost a philosophy of modernity. Presentation much more idolized than the real that is. Everything you put on in the morning creates an image that one projects with an intentional interpretation that is expected. Not to say that everyone isn't real, just that our society allows for and promotes this type of imagery. And of course this leads to a false facade that leads to false relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ian! And it's not to say we shouldn't value presentation... I like wearing cute clothes and don't think anyone should feel shame for liking something aesthetically- things are just things. But when that idea is applied to people...eh. It bothers me. I wish that we valued authenticity as much as we valued presentation. If not more than. Hope you are having a blast in England, I know Noah is excited to see you! :)

      Delete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips