This past week has been hard, I am newly single and not by my choice. It's something I don't want to go into much in this space other than to share this: I've had some great bucket fillers lately.
If you're not familiar with the children's book Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud, do yourself a favor and pick it up the next time you're at the library. It's about 30-pages long with cute illustrations and a fantastic message: everyone has an invisible bucket that you can "fill up" with good things by having positive interactions-- smiling at a stranger, telling your parents or a good friend that you love them and why-- or you can "dip" into by being unkind or cruel-- by bulling or excluding friends. The young kiddos that I've been working with find it really relatable, easy to understand, and it's very easy to discuss behavior in terms of, "are you filling a bucket or are you being a bucket-dipper right now?"
Lately, I've felt like my bucket has had a few holes punched in it. I'm trying my best to keep the good stuff in there (because there's lots of good stuff being put in there), but sometimes it feels like all the great things have leaked out and I'm left standing holding an empty pail. But of course, that's not true. I have the best family and a fantastic group of friends who have been working hard to fill my bucket and are reminding me that the good only leaks out if I let it. I can refuse to let others steal my joy, and that's exactly what I want to do so I am curating some reminders of the bucket fillers that I have been blessed with this week.
A mama who hates sewing, but is willing to teach me anyways.
"Sissy, I will be your new swing dance partner."
and "Mama, when you drink wine you remind me of Dionysus."
A new project.
New Plants: Arugula. & also Dahlias and Aloe.
Practicing social skills at our new favorite hangout. They have a TARDIS.
Hope your bucket is full today.
Love,
Madelyn










No comments:
Post a Comment