Usually, I'm the first person to get excited for the changing of seasons. I've been known, in the past, to drink a Starbucks pumpkin-spice latte in early September in the superstitious hope that it will bring Fall around sooner. But this year, I don't want summer to end. I'm not ready for sweaters and tights or chilly mountain mornings because I want more (and more and more) of this.
Summers in the Blue Ridge Mountains are amazing (fall and spring are, too). Nice and breezy, green and lush, and the humidity that rolls into North Carolina like an unwelcome house guest in late May, doesn't touch here. The Blue Ridge Parkway-- at least, many pieces of it-- close after the first ice/snow. I feel like I have so much memory making to do in these mountains before that time. It's like a deadline racing towards me. Soon, these mountains will no longer be my backyard.
It's my last year of school; this time next year, I'll hopefully have a job down the mountain in the town where my family lives. I want to savor, slowly, every moment of this final year. Suck the marrow, enjoy the moment. Hike more.Trip Deets:
Start// Rough Ridge
via// The Tanawha Trail
End// Beacon Heights








No comments:
Post a Comment