OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Monday, January 26, 2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Good morning! 

Today, I'm sharing my homemade laundry detergent recipe with y'all. I've made my own detergent for years because it's economical and it makes me enjoy doing laundry just a teensy bit more (I still don't really like it. Who does?) After using this recipe and seeing how well it works, I'm a little flabbergast looking at the ingredients of commercial detergents. I can't pronounce half the things on the back-- and why are they such bright colors? 

This recipe is much cheaper and environmentally friendly than those commercial detergents, which is super nice because those two don't always go together. I really love when friends come over while I'm making a batch because it's so easy to spare a jar and let them try some. I've never had a friend not like it. 


You'll Need:


1 gallon hot water 
1/2c Borax
1/2c Washing Soda
1/4 Bar Ivory Soap, grated 
10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (optional)
2-3 Empty Laundry Detergent Containers 

-Start with 1/2 gallon water in large pot on stove with medium heat. 
-Grate 1/4 bar of ivory soap directly into pot, gently stirring occasionally, trying to make as few bubbles as possible. 
-Add 1/2c Borax and 1/2c Washing Soda 1/4c at a time, stirring in between each addition. Stir until water begins to feel thicker- starting to become gelatinous. 
-Add 1/2 gallon water. 
-Let sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
-Add 10 drops of essential oil (optional) 
-Remove pot from heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes to cool. 
-Pour liquid into empty, clean laundry detergent containers and let sit uncapped until completely cooled. 

*If you don't have a pot that can hold a gallon of water, you can also do steps 1-3 and 5, then pour liquid into containers, heat another 1/2 gallon of water, then add that water to the container too. If you have more than one container, just make sure you add equal amounts of the first 1/2 gallon and the second 1/2 gallon to each container. :)* 

To use: 

-Shake container before use, detergent tends to separate. 
-Use about 1/2c detergent with each load. 

*Also, you can use the detergent immediately after making it, while it's still hot, if necessary.*

Big hugs and happy washing, 

Madelyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips