OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Monday, February 9, 2015

February Sewing// Cloth Napkins

Good morning!

In January, I shared with you that my new year's resolution for 2015-- in conjunction with my one little word for the year, grow-- was to increase my sewing skills by sewing one new thing a month. This month, I went with a relatively simple project in order to showcase a brilliant fabric I bought over the summer from 1canoe2. I only had a half yard to work with and had major anxiety about what to make with it. I called on good ol' instagram for suggestions: an apron? pillows? some friends suggested.

I pulled out my fabric scissors, fully intending to cut square pockets for a yellow apron, but I couldn't do it. It didn't feel right. So I stashed it away again and waited.

Smile and Wave has a sweet post that inspired me to turn this fun fabric into cloth napkins. I've wanted to make a move towards using more environmentally friendly paper products in my kitchen and this gave me just the nudge I needed, as well as practice in creating good-looking hems.
This is a simple, economical project. I've enjoyed using these a lot lately; it's nice to see the fabric out on display during dinner. They add a bit of homey flair to a simple meal (cough, leftover Mellow pizza, cough). I've been setting aside swaths of leftover fabric from projects to turn into more napkins.

Side note: I need to come up with a good system for storing clean napkins/storing dirty napkins before I can wash them. I'm thinking baskets? What works for you?


 
I'm hoping I might be ready to tackle a dress again next month! Cross your fingers for me.

Happy Sewing. :)

-Madelyn 

P.S. Along this journey already, I've found some really talented and inspirational seamstresses and bloggers including Ivy Arch (who I mentioned last month), Tilly and the Buttons, and Red Red Completely Red. Check 'em out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips