OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Bucket Fillers: This Kid.


When I left for school, Sam was in kindergarten. I was worried that I wouldn't be a big part of his life because of the hundred-some miles that separated my school from my hometown, where my family lived. Of course, I planned to travel home for major milestones like the holiday pageant or end-of-the-year celebrations. I came home when he tested for his black belt in Tae Kwan Do; I've never missed his birthday. But life isn't just about those major things; it's about minor things, seemingly small moments that are strung together like beads on a chain. Eating a meal together, reading together, even running errands together. They amount to far more than just the big stuff. So I promised myself that when I left for college, I wouldn't be an absent big sister.

So far, I think I've done a pretty good job. When I'm home, I make an effort to be a part of his daily life: I'll bring him lunch at school sometimes, cheer him on at swim meets. He'll never say, "I have an older sister, but she left for college when I was young so we aren't close." I'm pretty proud of that.


With love, Madelyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips