OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Monday, November 3, 2014

Late/Bad Pictures/Life Happens/Halloween 2014

Hi internet. This post is like a week late. Sorry, life happened.

I had it scheduled to post on Halloween. Most of it was written... and then....well, I started a new internship. It's amazing (!!!!) but takes up the majority of my time and mental space and my Halloween plans changed drastically- rather than coming home from my internship, dressing up and taking pictures before going to a Halloween party I wore my costume to my internship (there were several little Elsa who were very excited to see me- one memorable quote: "*gasp* did you know you're my sister??") and left immediately from my internship to pick up Noah where the two of us drove down the mountain to my family's house to take my youngest brother trick-o-treating.

We hopped out of the car, greeted my family and ate pizza. Just as the sun was setting I remembered: Ah! Blog pictures! We snapped pictures just as the first trick-o-treaters arrived at the door (sorry for the grainy, dark pictures. I told myself I would put on the costume again and take better pictures. But it's Monday night and that hasn't happened yet... and isn't likely to....c'est la vie).


Thank you, Noah for taking these pictures. It's not easy dating a blogger, you rock.

Also, he presented (and won an award! So proud.) the next morning at a math conference, which is why our Halloween plans changed in the first place.  

I decided to be Ana from the popular Disney movie Frozen a few weeks after seeing the movie when a friend told me, "Ana reminded me so much of you!" The costume pieces ended up being a tad bit pricey- about $27 dollars in total, which is more than I wanted to spend, but I am happy with the result.

1. I bought a black, sleeveless top and a blue long sleeve shirt from a thrift store: $7ish.
2. 1 5/8 yard of blue fabric, 2 yards gold ribbon, pink and green puff paint from my local fabric store: $20ish.

I started with hot glueing the gold ribbon around the neckline and armholes of the black shirt. Then I freehanded the top with a flower-y design (I googled Ana from Frozen Costumes for reference before starting).



2. I used the Kwik Sew pattern K4042 for the skirt, the same pattern I used to make my my very first skirt, but before sewing it I decorated each panel of the skirt with more flower-y stuff.


3. I cut the neckline of the blue shirt so it couldn't be seen over the top of the black shirt. The I decided not to use the blue shirt because I wanted to wear the pink sweater (shown in picture at the top of post.)

4. I paired the skirt and shirts with white tights and what Noah calls my "dutch wife shoes" (aka danskos, aka the most comfortable shoe ever).

I hope you had a fantastic Halloween. And that you danced to Thriller (or listened to it) at least once. And that you don't have any cavities.

And that you now feel entitled to play Christmas music (it snowed here. I feel completely justified).

Here's to November! 

Love, 

Madelyn 


P.S. last year's Halloween costume can be found here. :)


2 comments:

  1. Your costume turned out great! My daughter was one of the little Elsas. At the last minute, we're getting dressed, and she says, "Mama, are you going to be Anna?" I wish I had thought of doing that. But as it was, I was a witch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the Frozen craze that's going on right now- it's an adorable movie. Hope your and your daughter had an awesome Halloween!

      Delete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips