OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Monday, March 9, 2015

Snowpocalypse Pizza

It has been over a month since my last pizza post! Can you believe it?

Both my roommates have commented on how long it's been since I last made pizza. When I looked in the fridge one afternoon and saw I was low on food in the face of a much anticipated, impending snow storm (about half a foot of snow, winds reaching up to 50 mph, -30 degree wind chills. blegh), I rolled out the dough.

Our local grocer reopened his doors at the beginning of this semester. He's about two blocks away from my apartment. Around 4 o' clock, during a break in the downpour I bundled up and ran down the store and grabbed an onion and a white sweet potato (I planned to get just a regular ol' russet, but like I've said before: I'm a sucker for funky vegetable varieties). I ran home and pre-heated the stove.

This pizza came out of the oven just as the sun set and the wind picked up. Noah and I were in the midst of a intense game of scrabble. The storm lived up to it's expectations. So did this pizza. It's the perfect compliment to frigid temperatures and evening board games.

You'll Need:

-1/2 a white sweet potato, thinly sliced
-1/2 a red onion, also thinly sliced
-kale
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-2 cloves garlic
-feta cheese
-s & p
-crust ingredients and recipe of your choice

Preheat the oven to 425.

The Crust:

Make the crust recipe of your choice and roll dough out on pizza stone lined with parchment paper. Cut parchment paper down to size under the rolled out dough.

The Sauce:

In a pan on very low heat, pour three tablespoons olive oil. Use microplane to grate (or you can mince) garlic and add to pan. Gently stir to spread the garlic bits out evenly in the olive oil.

The goal here is to infuse the olive oil with garlic flavor, not to really cook (burn) the oil and garlic. Our burners have levels that start at low and then are numbered 1-8 and then have a high setting. I set the burner in between the low and 1 setting and only let it set for 5-7 minutes. The oil should be warm but not hot.

Spread evenly onto rolled out dough.

The Veggies & Cheese:

Slice the potato and onion very thinly. If the potato isn't cut small enough, it won't cook through at the same rate of the rest of the pizza. Think thin. Once the onions are cut out separate the rings. Distribute potato and onion slices evenly onto dough.

Rinse kale and cut/rip to bite size pieces. Add to pizza.

Sprinkle Feta on top.

Cook at 425 for 12-15 minutes. (Tip: I like to broil my pizza for the last minute of cooking to get the golden brown color on the crust) Enjoy!

-Madelyn 


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips