OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

21: The Spirit of Non-Sequiters and The Opposite of Brevity

My birthday is at the end of August and, since I can remember, it's always been a last-bit-of-summer-hurrah before the new school year. I turned 21 this year.

"Do you feel older?!" Is a popular questions to ask someone on their birthday. Usually my answer is, "not really" but on this birthday, a popular one here in the states since it's the legal drinking age, I did. And not just because of the whole I-can-order-a-drink-at-the-bar thing. I feel like I grew up a lot this summer.

I wrote about my resistance to the changing season here. I've decided to quit whining about the weather and embrace it as it comes-- c'mon Fall with your cozy sweaters and chilly mornings. Even though I don't feel ready for this year to gain momentum, I'm determined to enjoy whatever comes. I'm saying yes a lot. Yes to spontaneous walks in creek beds, yes to hanging out on a school night (sometimes), yes yes yes. 
My best friend, Kayla, came up to visit me for my birthday. It was great. We went up onto the parkway. And we can't take a good picture for anything. And oi, that water was cooollldd. 
I've always been lucky, wherever I go, no matter where I move, to meet some seriously great girlfriends. My roommates are some of best, most thoughtful, and interesting girls you'll ever meet and I already get a little panicky thinking about the days where we won't be living in the same 1400 square feet. They threw me a lovely birthday cookout, complete with veggie burgers and a hand-to-heart, mouthwateringly amazing blueberry orange tart (made by Erica and boy, I hope she blesses the internet with the recipe soon).
Does this post make any sense? I feel like I've been all over the place and I'm sorry if it's hard to follow, I'm just trying to get my thoughts out. 

This post is long and doesn't have a ton to do with birthdays but a lot to do with transitions. Eight weeks of class and twenty weeks of internships separate me from the real world (not that I'm counting...). I'm really excited for that change (so much potential!) but I'm also terrified of leaving this, right now, behind. Because right now is really really good. 
In the spirit of non-sequiters and the opposite of brevity, I'll end with a quote I've been thinking about a lot lately. It's an oldie but a goodie: 
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life?”
-Mary Oliver 

Love, Madelyn

Deets: 

Hike// Boone Fork
Pennant Banner// Tutorial 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips