OneBlueBicyle  siteheader
 photo about_zps08731ab1.png photo recipes_zps7be3bbe6.png photo make_zps95396d6f.png photo ramblings_zpsc2361014.png

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Make: Recycled Can Plant Container

I would like to start this post off with an itemized list of a few of my favorite thing: 

1) Black Olives. Black olives on my pizza. Black olives on my salads. Black olives straight out of the jar. Black dogs named Oliver.

2) Plants 

3) Recycling 

This posts combines three of my favorite things because I thought about transplanting some succulents I had propagated (more on that another time) into slightly larger containers. But I didn't have any "normal" plant containers. I had an old can sitting beside the sink because I couldn't bring myself to just throw it in the recycling bin a week ago...it had a purpose-- I just wasn't sure what it was yet. Boom. Perfect. Repurpose found.  
This is a super simple tutorial. You'll need: 

-a recycled can
-a small succulent or other plant with a baby root system
-a hammer
-a nail
-rocks
-potting soil 
1) Take the nail and the hammer to the bottom of the can. Punch anywhere from 12-15 holes in the bottom of the can. 
2) Lay rocks on the bottom of the can. This is to help with drainage. 
3) Add potting soil, and small plant (I used a succulent I'd propagated earlier this summer). The small, immature plant is important because you don't want the root system to rot in this pot-- even if the plant seems tiny on the top, underneath it might have big, mature roots. If so, pick a tinier plant. I don't intend on keeping this succulent in this pot for a long time. As soon as it grow a little, I'll need to transfer it into another pot so it can keep growing.
4) Water the plant. And let the excess water drain out the bottom of the can. 
5) After it's drained, find a cute place to display your adorable new planter! 
Happy Tuesday! 
-Madelyn 

2 comments:

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips