Oliver is our family's first pet (besides beta fish) ever. I know there are a significant number of people out there in my situation: with allergies, who want a dog but are worried about how truly hypoallergenic golden doodles, and breeds like them, are. My family's greatest fear, and the reason we did not get a dog for so long, was that we would get a "hypoallergenic" dog and learn after a few weeks that he or she still bugged my allergies/asthma and we'd have to give the dog back.
I'm writing this post in the hopes that those of you in a similar situation will feel like you have more information to help you make an educated decision on what's best for your family and health.
To give you a picture of what my allergies look like: I am severely allergic to most things with fur-- dogs, cats, bunny rabbits, and most especially horses. The itchy eyes and stuffy nose is fairly manageable and not super harmful, mostly just annoying. But, eventually, my allergies trigger my asthma which can be life-threatening rather than just annoying. Growing up, I could usually go over to a friend's houses if they had dogs or cats, but sleeping over was iffy (if I so much as walk near a horse barn and the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can feel it in my throat. A pet horse will never be in the cards for me). I took Zyratec, Singulair, Flonase, and Advair to manage my allergies and asthma growing up. Around 17-18 years old, I realized I didn't really need the Advair, Singulair, or Flonase. Last year I stopped taking Zyratec regularly and now only take it seasonally (Fall and Spring as needed).
Oliver's dad is full poodle and his mom is 1/2 golden retriever, 1/2 poodle, which makes him 1/4 golden retriever and 3/4 poodle. We got him from Jackie's Goldens in Lexington, NC. He has a very golden-ish temperament: friendly, playful, and smart. His fur is hair-like and wavy. He does not shed and needs haircuts regularly so he doesn't look like an angst-y teenager with his hair flopping in his eyes.
He does not bother my allergies. Yay! But, as he is a dog and does dog-things like roll around in grass or other stuff with pollen (which I am also allergic to) that will sometimes (not always) bugs my allergies. If he's been into something I'm allergic to and I am petting or playing with him, I will notice it. We handle this in two ways: either I take a zyratec or he gets a bath. Usually it's the zyratec because getting this dog to take a bath is an ordeal. He likes jumping out of the tub and shaking frequently.
I hope this helps! If you'd like to learn more about how and why we got Oliver, click here.
Also, compare the top photo with this picture. Resemblance? Hmmm.
![]() |
| Source Love, Madelyn |






No comments:
Post a Comment