I am so excited to share my March sewing project with you this week. I ordered Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book: Wear With Freedom back in January. After flipping through page after beautiful page, I decided that Dress E would be my first make from this book.
It was a bit ambitious of me, as my last dressmaking attempt ended in disaster. I had never finished a neckline, sewed sleeves, or darts into a dress before so I am very proud that this dress turned out as well as it did.
Orange is a color that a lot of people (especially redheads) think they can't wear. It's my favorite color so awhile ago I said, "oh well!" to that silly restriction. I'd been holding onto this delicious sherbert-y floral fabric for a bit and this dress was the perfect opportunity to showcase it! However, I didn't have enough fabric to cut all the pieces from the same orange fabric so I cut the back panel from the same red polka-dot fabric that I bought for the pocket. It adds a bit of quirk to the dress.
My absolute favorite part of this dress is invisible in these pictures. My beautiful aunt put together an extraordinarily thoughtful present for my birthday over the summer: it was my own sewing kit complete with some bits & pieces from her stash as well as from her mother's-- my grandmother's-- who passed away several years ago. I was going through my collection of thread and found this canary yellow thread labeled in my aunt's handwriting, "mom." That this dress is held together from something that belonged to my grandmother makes it extra special.
This dress is part of my new year's resolution to grow this year. I'm growing my sewing skills by sewing one new thing a month. I hope you're enjoying following along! I love this project-- I already feel like I've grown a lot.
Lots of Love,
Madelyn
January Project// Here
February Project// Here








No comments:
Post a Comment